Teddi

What the hell is going on in that kitchen? It’s like a scene from Sesame Street… sterilized.

Eric2

Ye gods…

What an utterly cold, sterile and soulless environment.
    It is so totally devoid of any warmth or feeling to it… And to think this used to be a Gem from the 1930’s. I can only think of how much originally detailing, wood work, and Art-Decor decorations must have been viciously thrown out. It makes me ill beyond words.

Eric “The Architecture Curmudgeon”

Brian

Eric, by the date this was built, there may not have been much elaborate detailing anyway – just look at the exterior.

Addresses don’t get much better than this; not everyone can claim to live in Jackie O’s former building. But, it’s tragic that so many original details were probably lost during the renovation. AD described the apartment as “austerely modern”, and that’s a pretty good way to put it: http://www.architecturaldigest.com/decor/2011-09/shelton-mindel-manhattan-apartment.

I think it’s beautiful in one way, and I really want to like it, but I can’t see actually living in it.

opinionfree

Very tricky stuff, speaking out against this building, those architects, in that city and done up by them designers. It’s perfectly serviceable.
    It’s bland neutrality is indicative of a lack in confidence. If any address can handle a ‘statement’ apartment, this is it. Unfortunately, this apartment remains silent.
    Three years to create this. Even though buildings like this, only allow renovations during the summer months. I guess it took lots of time to strip out all of the original detail.

Doug

I have extremely mixed feelings about this apartment. Many of you have commented about the “address” of the building. And you would be mostly correct, the location of this building is beyond ideal, it offers some of the most superb views in all of Manhattan, not only is it on the Park, but it looks directly onto the Reservoir which now bears the name of this buildings most iconic resident, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. For those of you that fear the loss of pre-war details in this apartmet, there weren’t many to begin with. I’ve seen pictures and floor plan of this apartment, and while it had plenty of “older/traditional” elements, none of which were of much historical significance.
    I certainly don’t love the modern style of the apartmet as it is currently. But the changes they made to the floor plan were very well thought out, and conducive to both family life, and entertaining life. Any renovations a new owner would need to make woul certainly be only cosmetic. The kitchen, by NYC standards, is MASSIVE. Frankly I would say this is probably worth “only” $35 mil. The $43 mil price tag is, IMO, too much for a half floor residence in a building which is believe it or not, among the most desirable on fifth. Numbers 820, 834, 960, 998, and some others, are considered to be the “A+” buildings on the park. However, if the condos in buildings like One57 and 432 Park, do end up closing for the prices which have been rumored, this unit may actually turn out to be reasonably priced.

As someone mentioned above, most co-ops of this type only allow major renovations to be done between Memorial Day and Labor Day, when most have left for their homes on Long Island or Cape Cod. As it seems most major work and updating has been done on this place, it leaves only cosmetic changes, and for many, the time saved on renovations may be worth the high price.

opinionfree

It’s a mechanically updated, blank canvas. No question, people will pay a premium for that. On so many levels, it just somehow seems unsavory.

I assume, like most others, that apartments like this, are kept as time capsules of some long gone glamorous days in New York high style. I have no problem with gut renovation for modern convenience, it would be nice if it was sensitive to the history of the building.

Attempting to create this apartment into a space that belongs in One57 or 432 Park is where I think most find disappointment. This building seems most comfortable with old style, wealth design. Not some modern, contemporary, open-ish concept dwelling. At least I don’t.
      I like what you wrote though.

Three years to install 1970s wood panel board?

WrteStufLA

This looks like the (partial floor) apartment directly below the full-floor former Kennedy-Onassis spread. A great building, but still way too many window air conditioners there.

Otessa Regina Compton

This is much to plain, modern, and dull for me. Some modern structures have personalities, does one definitely does not.