Interesting exterior layout. I like the fortress like feel to it. Exterior itself is lovely – love the mocha stone and blue shutters. Interior needs a breath of fresh air, but could be amazing. Price seems high for the state.

Teddi

I am loving that exterior and the grounds. I’m getting a kind of old-timey grand country estate vibe from it.

I look at it and I can imagine going there feeling like I’ve stepped back in time, and it’s wonderful. Wonderful feel, wonderful construction, wonderful landscaping.

Until I go inside. Everything needs redo-ing. The decor has to go. But if there is one thing that is congruous from the outside and all the rooms inside is that it’s traditional. And then you get to the one room that has been updated…the kitchen…and it’s like, wth? Update the kitchen yes. By all means. But update it with something that will fit in with the house and what it’s supposed to be. I found the disconnect jarring. So it’s an updated kitchen that would still need redoing to meld with the feel of the house. I don’t get what they were thinking

Mak

I agree completely. There’s something just so wrong about doing that interior with this house.

A truly gorgeous estate, with a sad interior. I love the country house feel of the exterior and the grounds. This looks like an estate should look. However, I’m not sure who did this to the interior, but they should be strung up. The decor is awful, and it’s depressing to see some lovely original details buried under all of that tackiness. Still, I’d take this in a heartbeat over many newer builds we see.

Eric

Oh This is QUITE Stunning.

It is no small thing that I am a fan of historical buildings and mansions, The 1920’s were home to some of my all time favorite constructions. And Teddi you once again sum things up nicely.

The “Fortress Feel” to it is oddly enough quite inviting. Also, if it is one thing I like more then historical mansions, it is LAND! 50 acres in Pa for 24 million PLUS a massive compound is quite a deal. And thats another thing I love, all the little buildings! Aside from the main house, I count Six other building in the pics.

It has always been a personal fondness of mine to imagine a large estate with a dozen or so small little buildings.. Places to go, rest, garden buildings, gazebo’s guest houses. Personally I would love an Estate like this, one where you could ‘explore it’ where you could go out and do something different each day.

As for the inside? Well, BLERG!
    I’d take almost all of that to the dump and restore some rich, lush, dark wood and colors to that interior.

Teddi

I have a feeling our tastes run pretty closely together when it comes to estates. I have a special weakness for estates with small out buildings dotted throughout the land. Guest cottages, guardhouses, housekeeper apartments, artist’s workshop…I don’t care what they are used for as long as they are there.

I don’t care how big a residence is, it doesn’t scream estate to me unless there’s a ton of land, an impressive driveway leading up to a large main house, a sprinkling of separate small separate structures. It’s probably due to my anglophilia and how their estate homes were done a couple hundred years ago, but I’m much too old and set in my ways to bother to change what I like now to what is trendy.

1. 4.1.1

Eric

OH I deeply agree on that,
        We both seem to have a fondess for older hsitorical mansions, we tend to be Curmudgeons on anything newer and especially on gaudy tacky interiors. And exteriors come to that…

But yes, this is what an “Estate” is all about… A mansion you can plunk down on an acre or two, even really nice ones on maybe 3 or 4. But for an “Estate” That takes at least 25 or so ;) And of course the more little buildings dotted here and there the better.

For me, if I had the money this place would be wonderfully suited to be redone as some sort of exclusive bed and breakfast.

There are eight bedrooms NOT counting the main house, but just the guest and “staff” cottages. The main house is another eight bedrooms brining it up to 16. With the grounds you have there, and all the smaller buildings htis could be an ideal “Get away from it all” for exclusive upscale pattrons.

1. 4.1.1.1

Teddi

If you really wanted to have a more commercial property, then take a look at this. http://homesite.obeo.com/viewer/unbranded.aspx?tourid=748080

1000 acres already under contract, sleeps 22. Since this place was built up by Kenny Rogers years ago, the decor is self explanatory. Ignore it.
          I figured whoever takes this on should covert that main house into a main guest house and build an actual estate home somewhere else on the land since only a small fraction of it is being used now.
          I could do without the warehouse-looking equestrian center. I’m not into golf, but people like it so I guess it’s a good thing to have already onsite. But with all those little cabins and dining halls already in place, with proper renovations, it can work as a bed & breakfast, business retreat, or wedding venue.

Once I got over the godawful decor and the fact that none of the buildings are in the style I like, I took a good look at all that land, all that scenic beauty, all those amazing ponds, some of which are stocked, and thought, someone could really do an awesome estate there if they wanted to go in that direction.

I’m not really interested in an estate as a B&B, but I am in one that is fully and completely self sustaining, and with enough landspace for it to be a reality. 1000 acres seems more than enough to do and have everything.

A couple hundred acres for farming (animals: fish, chickens, sheep, goats, game hens and non-animal farming: orchards, vineyards, vegetables, herbs, etc; apiary). Independent water and energy supplies. Greenhouses for orchids and lilies. A rose garden. some other assigned acres for paddocks and stables for horses. Horse trails and running/cart trails. Far away from everything landing spots and landing strip for choppers and planes, and a hangar for them. And at the seat of it all, an estate mansion that understands that that means more than just being a big showy house. *sigh* That is my dream

This is the main line so you are not going to have a lot of flash. The owner probably drives a volvo and hasn’t thought about redecorating since Eisenhower. This isn’t long Island or New Jersey. If I bought it would definitely do updates but would hire a main line decorator. Keep everything low key and looking old. Wouldn’t want to be known as the flashy gauche guy from New Jersey.

Teddi

I pictured a Volvo stationwagon, tattered workboots, and followed around by a pack of overeager dogs (pointers or retrievers, leaning towards retrievers); which is what makes what they did to the kitchen all the more egregious and perplexing.

The only thing I can come up with is some 20 year old niece or godchild redid the kitchen as some sort of surprise Mother’s Day gift to them. No way do the people who live in & are comfortable with the rest of the house come up with/approve that kitchen.

1. 5.1.1

Eric

Found this website guys:

There are a LOT Of great pics of the estate and the grounds, along with descriptions of what all the little buildings are:

•Two Story guest house containing living room, dining room, kitchen, 2 bedrooms and 2 baths with garage.
    •Turreted Caretakers House with 4 bedrooms and 2 baths
    •Staff/Guest Cottage with kitchen, living/dining room, 2 bedrooms and 2 baths
    •Full service 10 car garage,
    •Barn with horse stalls and equipment storage
    •Aviary
    •Wood Shop

Teddi

I’m even more in love now. Very well thought out secondary structures. But then, this estate was built at a time when people knew what it took to actually run an actual estate and didn’t just build houses to be large and impressive but lacking functionality. The only thing missing for me would be an apiary. I’d like to try my hand at that and I think an estate is the perfect place to do it.

The grounds are lovely and I believe that is the prettiest and most well planned chicken coop I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen some amazing ones on Houzz.

After a closer look at the decor, it isn’t just the kitchen. I realize that part of the problem is that someone indeed tried to marry some contemporary works into the rooms. The structure of the rooms themselves are very traditional, and then there are large traditional furniture pieces, but they are interspersed with some very modern items. I mean, there is a landing with very bold chintz-esque chairs and right behind them is a leopard print window seat with matching ottoman. Is there a reason anyone thought those would go together? That library is an example of the forced mish-mashing of styles. 2 people forcing their identities on each other. The kitchen and breakfast room indicate someone won that fight.

Mak

Wow. This house embodies the word “estate”. It is just perfection. It has a koi pond; a beautiful, shaded pond.

Really rich people have koi ponds. If you think you’re rich, and you don’t have one, you’re probably not, or if you are rich then you probably have new money, not old money.

There is nothing that spells real money then a koi pond filled with very old, very expensive collector koi. I’m not talking about BIG koi…but RARE koi. Any old fish can grow big if the pond is large enough, but RARE koi are a different thing altogether. They are the best of the best, and they are expensive. Just think about how rich you have to be to be able to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on fish you don’t eat, but put outside in a pond on your property. They just hang out. Very expensive fish that no one see’s all day, except maybe you when you walk by the pond, or when you feed them. But otherwise, they’re just there, being old rare fish that no one even thinks about, except maybe when one dies and it turns into a floater, and everyone runs away screaming that a very old fish named Nanu died and “could someone PLEASE get it out of the pond before Harry comes home and see’s it there OMG he’s going to be so pissed!”

I have a grandmother who almost fits that description personally. Except for living in a pond.

1. 7.1.1

Mak

Bwahahahah! Too freakin funny!

Why is that kitchen in this house? Whoever did that should be beaten severely with a stick.

Teddi

I’m right there with you on that. I don’t get it. They updated a kitchen that the new owners are going to have to redo anyway. It’s a waste and it’s insanity.

Last Man Standing

I love everything about it except the price. Because I don’t have the money.
    It has enough land.
    It’s beautiful land.
    I love the exterior.
    The interior failings are all decorative. The spaces are fine just some of the furniture and carpets need to go.
    For all those commenting on the kitchen, I don’t think it’s the kitchen. It looks like a butler’s pantry. I see sinks and dishwashers and cabinet space, but nothing like ovens and fridges etc.
    Thanks for the link to the site Eric. It is now bookmarked for when I win MegaMillions or Powerball.
    I really love the chicken coop. Now THAT’s a chicken coop.
    Things I’d update:
    The Koi Pond. Man, that’s so out of date it’s like watching black and white television with vacuum tubes. Now ponds are meant to be up near the house and elevated with partial glass or laminate windows or sides so you can see the koi gliding by in crystal clear water. The existing koi pond should be turned into a Japanese garden area with a fountain in the middle.

The other change is the big pool at the bottom of the hill. Great placement. Love it. But, it isn’t big enough. I’m part walrus and a bigger pool would be better.

Finally, for those thinking of retrievers or spaniels or pointers, I’m going with mastiffs. (I have one already.) Four or five English Mastiffs walking on the grounds and you have a barony.

This beats the Rhode Island estate a few days or weeks ago. And I thought that couldn’t be done.

Teddi

Between you and Mak, I’m going to HAVE to get a koi pond. All I need to do is drive to Zephyrhills, wait for Mindy to get in line, cut in front of her, then JACKPOT, I have my estate and have the best koi pond money can build.

As for the kitchen, if that’s a butler’s pantry, it has to be the biggest butler’s pantry in existence. Especially when I’m seeing a full size stainless steel fridge. And since kitchens and bathrooms are huge selling points, why show us pics of pretty much EVERYTHING, even a chicken coop (and I agree, that is one badass coop) and not show a picture of the kitchen. It’s got to be the kitchen.

Now, on to the dogs. I have a rule: no ugly dogs, no slobbering dogs, and no dogs that can eat me in one sitting. We had a 120 pound GSD once, and one day he got sick, it was hell trying to lift him into the car to go to the vet. So no way am I getting a dog that has an adult STARTING weight of 150. I wouldn’t go for any of the dogs I mentioned anyway.

I grew up with German Shepherds and when it comes to taking care of an estate, I doubt any can do it better. Plus they’re smart enough I wouldn’t have to give them much training or watch them every minute of the day. Couple that with fierce loyalty and their inborn belief that I am their property and it’s their job to take care of me, yeah, I’ll stick with GSDs.

The only other dog I would even contemplate getting are border collies.

If I got a bunch of mastiffs, I’d be afraid the village people might storm my estate with pitchforks and torches when small children start disappearing.

Mak

Re: the Koi Pond.

That’s the difference between old money and new money. Old money is content to just to KNOW that there are very old, very rare fish out there in the pond. New Money wants to show them off.

Old fish need old homes. These fish can live 200 years or longer. Having them in the same place for a long time causes the fish less stress. If there are Koi in this pond, there’s a good chance that they’re older then the residents of the house.

If you look closely at all the furninshings and decorations and tschotskes in this house I think you will find that all of it is extremely high quality and some of it is now considered fine collectors examples of high furniture art from the 60’s and 70’s. When this house was originally decorated they spared no expense. As a matter of fact that furniture would be worth a fortune in New York city right now with the retro craze. Furniture may look outdated but the quality is second to none.

Mak

I can’t get over this house. I keep daydreaming about it…what it would be like to drive up to it for the very first time…what it would be like to wake up in one of the bedrooms on the second floor of the main house and look out on to the courtyard…what it would be like sit outside on a warm spring morning with my newspaper and a cup of coffee just taking in the sun, and the views, and the sounds of birds.

The feeling this place evokes is just so romantic the only reason I would want to leave is to be able to experience the feeling of coming home to this again and again.