Randy

I like the cool hip furniture and the high tech audio visual components

Barney

Randy……are you 12, or maybe 14 years old??

Randy, you crack me up. This is dated for sure. It has that real old money, kind of ratty, tattered feel to it. Definitely out of the 50’s. I see a lot of cigarette smoking and cocktails going on in this house. I think some episodes of Mad Men were filmed here. I bet you could even find some table lighters and ashtrays in this place. The portrait of the overbearing CEO creeps me out. But, this is a beautiful home. Lots of old style craftsmanship and beautiful mature landscaping. I have always heard of Grosse Pointe but never been there. I guess it used to be the Greenwich of the mid-west. I love the house but it needs some serious updating. I am going to guess this house has not been on the market since the mid 40s. I wonder if Grosse Pointe is finished as a upper class enclave.

PS. The price can’t be beat.

Barney

Rob….It was bought & sold in 1973 & 1985 and why do you automatically equate this house with such an repellant person? And I can ABSOLUTELY assure you, there’s NOTHING RATTY about this house, AND, this house has been non-smoking since 1985, AND Grosse Pointe is HARDLY “finished” as you say…in decline to a certain point, yes, “finished, absolutely NOT.

1. 2.2.1

There is a giant portrait in the living room of some guy out of the 50’s cupping a cigarette and glaring out at you. Did you not see that? LOL>

1. 2.2.1.1

PS. I never said they were repellent. I said it was very old money. It reminds me of my grandparent’s decor. When you could sit around the house smoking and drinking cocktails. My grandparents also had some giant table lighters that I am sure were very classy and elegant in their day. When was the last time you saw a table lighter and a giant ashtray in anyone’s house. And as I said, I know very little about Grosse Pointe, but wasn’t its heyday back when the auto industry was huge in Detroit. Who lives there now? I have no idea.

1. 2.2.1.1.1

Barney

EXACTLY……you have no idea, so why the “creeps me Out” and “finished as an upper class enclave”??

And, ummm, “who lives there now??” How about MANY multi-millionaire owners of corporations, doctors, entrepreneurs, heirs to historic family fortunes, top-and-mid-level executives, a nice number of BILLIONAIRES, all kinds of professionals, and all kinds of normal people from very modest means to the wealthiest (more so the latter)??

I don’t need to read the article that you posted the link to…..I used to sell homes in the Grosse Pointes so I’m intimately aware of the downfall of property values here. As almost ALL the property values have fallen in this country. HOWEVER, if you had “any” idea, you’d also know that property values have made a noticeable improvement in the past 15 months, also. But if Beyonce & JZ or Kim Kardashian & Kanye West don’t live here it’s worthless, right??

2. 2.2.1.2

#1. He’s NOT “glaring”

#2. IF, repeat IF you had seen it in person as I did, you’d have seen that the man was painted with a friendly, relaxed smile on his face, NOT a “glare”.

1. 2.2.1.2.1

If you love him so much, why don’t you marry him?

I feel sorry for it; it’s like an old woman who is still wearing her clothes from 40 years ago thinking she’s stylish. It can be a lovely house, and the fact that it’s stuck in a time warp means that a lot of period details are still intact. Hopefully the buyer will restore it to what I imagine was its 1935 grandeur.

Barney

Grrrowler……”Sorry for it”?? God, what a pious statement. Obviously it’s not your taste in any way, shape, or form and neither is it mine. But it’s been redecorated a LOT more recently than the past 40 years ago. And I personally guarantee you that this house has more extreeeeemely expensive, rare and valuable art & furniture in it than you could possibly name.

1. 3.1.1

Yes, I am sorry that the house does not seem to be living up to its potential. I’m not questioning how rare and/or valuable any of the contents are. I’m also not questioning whether or not the current owners love it as-is; I hope they do and I hope it’s been a great home for them. To re-iterate my analogy, it reminds me of a woman who is wearing haute couture from decades past: she may be very beautiful and the clothes may be very expensive but she needs an update.

1. 3.1.1.1

Barney

No need to apologize. But yes, THIS house DOES need a complete update, for sure. But it just is what it is…..trust me, no need to feel sorry for it, the owners, the extremely high-income area it’s in, etc. etc. It’s an incredibly opportunity for it to be given a big breath of fresh air through and through, while remaining on one of the most beautiful, safe, exclusive and historic places to live in the entire mid west.

1. 3.1.1.1.1

I was not apologizing for my comment. I stand by it and still say that I feel sorry for the house in its current decorative state.

Bella Dunn

Barney

Your sympathy is GREATLY misplaced, Bella, I can absolutely assure you. And your estimation is what’s TRULY sad and overestimated.

1. 4.1.1.1

Barney

A list of rambling impressions from average people who know NOTHING about empirical property value data, statistical outlooks for cities taking into consideration tried and true, real-world equations and present day economic trends. And many of the posts are from OVER a Year ago.

1. 4.1.1.1.1

Speaking of rambling……

james

Pics are OK the flash is way to bright

Barney

James…..you don’t have ANY idea of what you’re talking about. I TOOK the photos and am a professional photographer? How many MULTI-million dollar estates have you photographed??

1. 5.1.1

Barney

CORRECTION…….”I TOOK the photos and am a professional photographer.”

1. 5.1.1.1.1

Barney

? You don’t see the correction?

2. 5.1.1.1.2

Barney

Speaking of NOT being able to comprehend the obvious.

Seems like a nice home, if a tired one. I could see a nice elderly couple in this. Doesn’t look like much of a “family” home though. Dining room is lovely.

Barney

Granted Dan, it is tired, but beautifully & authentically so. I’m really mystified though…..is your imagination really so weak that you can’t see past the decor? It couldn’t be renovated, redecorated & modernized for the 21st century like it inevitably will be? And why would any of the other MONSTROSITIES that are supposed to pass for beautiful homes that are TWICE and sometimes THREE times as the size be considered family homes and this one not? It’s mere, right-at-the-edge-of-realistically-manageable size makes it inevitably more so, I think.

Barney. Happy New Year, first of all. Secondly, I *could* very easily imagine it renovated, redecorated, modernized, etc. But as it stands, the house needs help. You obviously love the home, and that’s great. But I don’t, at least in the current shape it is in. It is a very workable home, but as Grrrowler said, needs a makeover.

1. 7.1.1

Barney

Happy New Year, to you too and definitely so, but you’re wrong….I could NEVER live in a home like this, as you know and I really don’t like that anything about the house but I can appreciate every impeccable feature of it for what it is. Entirely too huge and as traditional as it gets and it’s the antithesis of what I see my dream home as, but it STILL could be a family home afterwards.

Love G.P., a buddy of mine used to live on Provencal. People that don’t live in Michigan have no goddamn clue what they are talking about when they talk about Grosse Pointe. There is tons of money and tons of billionaires out there, hell even Tom Gores owns about 3 properties out on Grosse Ile.

If anyone took a drive out on Lakeshore Drive, you will know that is one of the most gorgeous settings in the country and it will never go down. Trust me, when the idiots that run Michigan are finally replaced and it is put back on track, and it will one day, Grosse Pointe will be the very first area to shoot back up in value.

Grosse Pointe is old money, real money with real true blue mansions. Bloomfield Hills and those areas will never have the provenance of G.P.

There are very few places in this country that are as nice as G.P. and the Traverse City and Charlevoix areas of Michigan. I just came back from staying in Preston Hollow for a week in Dallas and as nice and as gorgeous as those mansions are, they are still in Dallas, with no views, no trees and no lake. They have nothing on Michigan.

Barney

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, Venom! And you COULD NOT be more right! However, property values aren’t really as low as I think you might think, trust me :-)

When I posted this house, I expected to hear “tired, old-lady-ish, needs this, that & the other thing,”, blah blah blah. But I wasn’t ready for the unmitigated insults, arrogance, ignorance and plain old stupidity I got (albeit with ONE, repeat ONE compliment) Some IDIOT named James actually insulted my photography saying “the flash was way to bright”…(GREAT grammar skills there too, James)….I asked him how many MULTI-million dollar estates he’s photographed and his answer was SILENCE. The amount of dismissiveness and crap thrown at this house and all of Grosse Pointe was really shocking. As if ONE of the Pointes being next to Detroit AUTOMATICALLY had destroyed ALL of them & NONE of them were worth living in anymore. And one STUPID wench named “Bella Dunn” actually said “My childhood hometown. I reminds me of an era long since passed. My heart is sad for the Pointes were once grand and elite. Now they have fallen to the past not to be revived. Sad very sad.” ?!?! PLEASE tell me WHAT THE F is SO tragic about THIS house and/or the shots I took of it!?! Functionally senile, that one.

THOSE kind of remarks and people are why I’ve given up on this site. I mean, granted, Michigan’s been down on it’s luck over the past 5 or so years, but the auto industry IS COMING BACK FOR SURE, AND NOT IN A MICROSCOPIC WAY, EITHER. I’m sure too, that they all think that Michigan is just more, “fly-over land”, NEVER to be given a seconds’ consideration. The arrogance sickens me. And you’re right-on about Traverse City…..was there for a very nice, destination wedding in August and it was BEAUTIFUL….the view of the East Arm of the Grand Traverse Bay on a warm, sunny day with a good, stiff breeze, AND an ocean-going tall-ship schooner sailing across it was stunning.

99% of the regulars here seem to think think that if a house isn’t AT LEAST 40k square feet, built yesterday, isn’t ULTRA-ridiculously modern & have the tens-of-thousands of dollars in electronics, doesn’t have it’s own ocean, mountain, airport, zip code, garage for 150 cars, 700 acres and EVERY stick of furniture isn’t BRAND NEW, that it’s SH*T WORTHLESS. And as far as ALL the estates on Provencal, ONLY a few of them have walls around ‘em and NONE of them have a “Armed Guard on duty” sign! Loved your comment on Dallas mansions & their security-obsessed owners!

Again, THANKS, BIG TIME for your support…..I appreciate it A LOT.