Al Robinson

What a great place. It’s artistic, and clean. I know I know, I’m all about clean, but that’s party what impresses me. It’s not cluttered with a mess of useless crap, that becomes claustrophobic. I like the angles, and the colors they used. It looks romantic, like it would be perfect to bring a date there and have candlelight dinners. Then you could go outside and watch the sunset over the mountains.

Barney

SMART MAN, there Al :-) I couldn’t agree with you more, and IN FACT, I could LIVE DELIRIOUSLY HAPPILY IN THIS STUNNING HOME for the rest of however long my life’s gonna’ be. This is a MASTERPIECE of modern design in one of the absolutely MOST beautiful countries on earth. WHAT a dream! Even though in reality, it’s still much to big for just the three of us, my partner & I would sho’ ’nuff fill that place UP with rescued dogs & cats and very possibly a horse or two. IMPECCABLE from start to finish.

Darryl

It’s beautiful!!! I just don’t understand why each bedroom doesn’t have its own bathroom. It just seems crazy to have to leave your bedroom to use a bathroom in a house like this.

I will never love this style of exterior but the interior is nice overall. Love the wavy wood in the theater.

Chris

Wow, truly fantastic. A stunning home that is worthy of AD.

Barney

Couldn’t possibly agree with you more, Chris. PERFECT for a long, detail-laden article with LOTS of photos that I’m positive would sell A TON of copies, don’t you think?

lambskin

The big hill in the backyard obstructs the valley and mountain views. Other than that it is a pretty cool house. The ceiling ventilation system is interesting. The poured concrete sofas in the theater would really need a lot of padding-form over function me thinks. I love the kitchen.

This is an awesome house. It’s exactly how I prefer contemporary to be. It’s comfortable, different, and includes lots of natural materials. It’s not simply another all-white series of boxes. I do with the front entrance were different, particularly by moving the garage doors to a different location. Otherwise I really like it.

I was beginning to despair that I would never see a contemporary home featured on this site that I could point to and say “THAT’S my style of contemporary!” but finally we have it! This is beautiful, inside and out. I LOVE all the wood and warm textures used, it’s a contemporary that actually lets you remember that, yes, in fact there are things on this planet that GROW and look NATURAL. There isn’t a single thing about this home I dislike, and I could move in tomorrow and be happy. And I second Barney’s sentiment that New Zealand is one of the most beautiful places on this planet, so it’s a perfect setting for a gorgeous home.

Jeff P.

Yes, I agree. Contemporary doesn’t have to mean soaring glass walls and endless stark white expanses. I love this house. :)

This is beautiful. A contemporary home relies so much on its location and this is in a beautiful location. It is architecturally smart and interesting. The interior decor is smooth and funky. Love this house. Would move in in an instant.

That’s a fantastic point…I think people (myself definitely included) forget what a difference the setting of a home can have on how appealing the home is. I think the gorgeous location of this home definitely contributes heavily to how much I love this property.

Joseph

This house is quite nice. I really like its appearance but I would never live in it. It seems too cold and industrial for my taste. Either way it is nice to look at, just not something I would want to permanently reside in.

Cold and industrial? Are we looking at the same home?
      1. 9.1.1

Joseph

If it’s the one on this page, yes.