The “Enigma” insignia needs to go. Like now. Once you get past that , it is quite nice. The interior has some nice bits, and I’m not repulsed by the choice of furnishings. The Versace pool is however a letdown considering the real one at Casa Casuarina is soooo much more spectacular. Price is “wow” worthy. This is South Africa, not Cap Ferrat.

Kenny Forder

It definitely needs to be removed, it screams tacky/government building.

1. 1.1.1

I was thinking more along the lines of “frat house”, but that works too. It’s strange because it’s the only thing about the facade that ruins the classy look.

1. 1.1.1.1

lambskin

What about the weird statuette flanking the front roofline and the multicolored post/vases flanking the other rooflines?

1. 1.1.1.1.1

Okay, you’re right on that point. I’ll adjust my comment to “it’s ONE of the only things that ruins the classy look” ;)

The Enigma sign above the front entrance looks like something you’d see on a frat house. Beyond that, the place is just weird. But, it’s so weird that I like it. The shabby chic oddly works in this place, even though it’s a rather tired style. While the rooms are interesting, none of them look particularly comfortable, like they’re designed more to impress than to be lived in.

Ha, I should have read all the comments before I responded to Kenny above. My bad XD

Joseph

The house looks like a building you’d see in an amusement park.

I like it. What is with the Enigma thing? Is that the name of this guy’s company? At first I thought it was a photographers watermark. This place looks like a home for a hippy rock star. I really like the aged and dirty columns in the back, haven’t seen this before. Shows a lot of imagination and daring. I like the palladian poolhouse and I like the pool, although I will look up the Casa Cassuarina pool that Daniel is talking about to see if it looks better. That pool really does look like Versace’s pool in Miami. I cannot get over the price for a place in Cape Town. Isn’t Cape Town the murder capital of the world. I am having a hard time figuring out how you could enjoy yourself in such a dangerous place.

I re-read what I wrote and I meant Versace pool = Casa Casuarina, which this home obviously took its inspiration from.

1. 4.1.1

Kenny Forder

*Drools*! The tilework is AMAZINGGGGG =P

Limedaiquar

Can’t tell you how much I hate shabby chic…and the house. It’s….not nice.

Cubby

One can hardly blame them for copying the splendid pool terrace of Versace at

Casa Casuarina >> if you’ve got the money, and you REALLY love it, why not?

Coon

Zafa’s definitely got some funky style going on. This is one of many very weird houses i’ve seen. The prices are absurd for all of them.

I like this a lot more than I thought I would. The exterior is elegant and imposing, and the interior is actually really cool, minus a couple frightening decor pieces, like the weird thing on the wall in the corner of that orange dining room. I like the general off-the-wall feel of the place, and I don’t see any spaces I flat-out hate. Nice.

But then there’s that price…

p.s..

did anybody read Sotheby’s description of this property? The hyperbole is vomit-inducing.

Also, does anyone know when this place was built?

James

I love the tea house and the pool :D the rest is ok looking…i wouldnt live there but the pool and tea house are verry cool :D

Jeff P.

It looks like somebody picked up Graceland and dropped it in an anonymous McMansion development. All the landscaping probably hides the ten-foot barbed wire security fence around this monstrosity. The pool is tacky, tacky, tacky – and so is Versace’s. Proof that money can’t buy good taste.

Tigurinn

Graceland looks fantastic; this looks like cr#p, especially having two front facades! The interior is horrible as well

lambskin

Dig the security camera bubble ‘hidden’ in the hallway arch in the foyer. It is not there for decoration.

Joejoe509

Other than the spiffy floor-to-ceiling windows in the little “cottage”, I don’t see one redeeming quality here. $36 Million? You gotta be kidding me.

This place looks like a museum made to honor tackiness and tastelessness.

And now I can’t get the Enigma – Sadness song out of my head. Thanks.

15. Pingback: HOUSE OF THE DAY: For $36 Million, This Palatial South African Villa Comes With A 3D Movie Theater | Lux fashion