Because the best way to enjoy a hidden gem in a beautiful remote area is to enhance it by bulldozing the landscape and building a house the size of a mini-mall.

Joejoe509

That’s exactly what I was thinking! At first I thought… wow what a beautiful location!! Followed by… why did he flatten it so blatantly?? I hope he replaces it with some damn good landscaping!

Geoffrey

Thats some expensive NZ land! Im assuming the sale came with several hectares of rural land also?

Yeah found it:
    “He first made moves in 2009 when Helena Bay Trustees got permission to buy 215ha of land at Helena Bay Farm, Russell Rd, in Hikurangi, Northland, for $15.9million. (APN News & Media)”

So really thats 2.15mill sqm for $15.9m, Really, thats only $7.50 per sqm. Realistically thats some cheap land! However, most of it is obviously forest. I read they have promised to do plenty of forestry restoration in trade for allowing their huge jetty and dredging!

Either way, house looks massive, set to be similar design as the Chrisco mansion so should be pretty cool!

Robert

You know your house is big if you need a tower crane to build it.

Limedaiquar

I doubt this will get finished…

Brian

The site plan or layout looks quite bizarre. In addition to the massive “U” shaped block, it looks like there will be a string of smaller structures arrayed in an arc. I am not optimistic that this will end up as a coherent design. Maybe like that ridiculous “Tuscan village” being assembled in AZ. But perhaps I will be happily surprised by this Russian prankster….

Al Robinson

This land in the bay area reminds me of the land owned in Hawaii by George Clooney and his family in the 2011 movie “The Descendants.” If I had land like that, the last thing I would do is build a shopping mall home on it. I would build a nice regular sized home with maybe a couple of cabanas.

Coon

Uuuuu… I like. Can’t wait to see what the finished product looks like. You know its going to be massive when theyre using a construction crane. (The only other commercial crane ive seen for a home is at a tight lipped home in Malibu currently under construction, rumored to be a $100M+ home)… It It also looks like this home is being made of ICF which is freakin awesome.

Kenny Forder

Where in Malibu is the rumored home being built??? I’d love to know :)

1. 7.1.1

Coon

Been trying to find info on it for a while and haven’t been able to. I only knew it existed driving by. You used to be able to see the massive crane from the hwy until the hedges thickened up. I just know McCoy Construction is building it. The crazy part is that it’s hard to get permits to build anything in Malibu. Even a little 4000 ft house. I heard this is supposed to be 30,000+ and completely climate controlled to house an expensive art collection.

lambskin

Is it me or is the “U” shaped layout seem sideways? I would think that a “U” shaped design would try to maximize the water views. It seems that the one part of the long “U” side is facing opposite of the water and the bottom of the “U” is facing more toward land than the sea. I would havemade the short end of the “U” facing opposite the sea and the open ends towards the sea..

Brian

You’re right, the plan seems cockeyed. The whole layout seems misdesigned, but maybe we’ll see the logic when completed. Although I’m not that optimistic.

Dani

I believe the layout is more to do with the direction of the wind which unfortunately can be quite strong in that unsheltered area.