weisser

Kenny, check the project link please.
    You duplicated the link to google maps.

Kenny Forder

Thank you!

The mixture of brick and stone is interesting. I don’t know if it is what I would have chosen for the exterior of a home in Bel Air, but at least it looks very well done. The interior seems to be restrained but very elegant. If anything, I think Mr. Stern is one of the best architects who recognizes scale is such an important element.

Critic

That is just too much space, yet somehow the photos look sensible, not gargantuan. However that aerial shot looks like a never ending sprawl. Would love to see a floor plan.
    The address is 457 Bel Air Road.
    realestated.blogspot.com

50,000 square feet is a ridiculous amount of space, but this house is beautiful. Stern managed to make a hotel-sized house feel like a home, albeit still a very large home. Stern has been one of my favorite architects for a long time, and this doesn’t disappoint. To me it has a feel of one of the grand American houses from the 1920s.

Dave T.

Kenny, where do you find the 50k figure? Unless it has a huge basement level, it’s not that big.

Kenny Forder

Forgot where, but that’s what I found.

Chance

Agreed. Unless there’s a lot we aren’t seeing, this place is 30 to 35,000 at most.

1. 5.2.1

Chartwell, the “Beverly Hillbillies” house just up the road is 21,500 square feet. Comparing the footprint of the two houses and taking into account the multiple wings of this house, it is at least 50% larger, if not more, which would put in the range you named. Still, it’s huge.

1. 5.3.1

Kenny Forder

Ah, thanks, I was close! =)

2. 5.3.2

Chance

Wow. Must have a lot hidden out of view, because it doesn’t look that big. If you look at the house at 729 Bel-Air Road, it’s only 11,000 sq.ft. This place definitely doesn’t appear to be 4 times bigger off the aerial.

The extent to which the home is so not imposing is amazing given the stated square footage…it’s a lot more tasteful than a home of that size has any right to be. I really love what I see here, I could easily soak up a 200-image photo gallery if one existed :)