Barney

WOW……….In the classic words or the immortal Curly “I’m foist?! That’s a FOIST!” Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck, nyuck, nyuck!

Unfortunately this place is as equally UNDER done, cold, lifeless, sterile, style, personality and colorless, institutional and impersonal looking & feeling as it’s location is BREATHTAKINGLY STUNNING. The interior looks like a small, boutique hotel that the developers ran completely out of money for, after only the first 1/4 of it was decorated…..utterly commercial looking, and not in a good way.

The foundation is great, but even it needs LOTSA’ warming up with some different, contrasting materials, paint & about two or three KINGS’ RANSOMS in landscaping plant life on that gargantuan pool deck. I HATE to say this, ’cause you guys will think I’m betraying myself, but this place looks downright SCARY due to it’s truly abandoned looking site! It reminds me of a really scary late 50’s/early 60’s classic horror film about being the LAST person on earth….and that’s the LAST think you want ANY house ANY where to remind you of. Know what I mean?

Mak

Yes, completely. Cold, sterile, unfriendly. Just bringing a glass of water out on the deck would make me feel like I was doing something wrong. This kind of austere, blank space design makes anything added look totally out of place.

I couldn’t cope with it. I would feel like I was in a prison cell.

OMG. The one contemporary home you hate, I actually like. Unbelievable!

I actually like this place as it is presented. Usually I DESPISE these portable classroom look-a-like contemporaries, but this is not bad at all. The exterior lighting looks very nice and the setting of the home is spectacular. The interior is very simple and *WARM*, mainly because of the gorgeous wood ceilings. And contrary to what has been expressed already, I think the lack of landscaping in the backyard could be forgiven. That huge infinity-edged pool should not have anything blocking it. I think it works very well. Overall, a very nice getaway.

Normally I wouldn’t like something so impersonal, but I like this. The exterior and the setting are spectacular, and I love a lot of the interior elements. There are a lot of natural materials at work, and that’s how I like contemporary to be done. I see it as cool (which is what one might want on a tropical island) but not cold. As for it being impersonal, it IS a rental vacation property after all. To make it a private home, there is enough going on with the design that it could be made more personal with some added touches, without ruining the design.

Scott

That pool is amazing. While this kind of contemporary design might not be to everyone’s taste, I’d say it’s a solid effort by an architect who is obviously confident working in this idiom. I’m not sure I’d necessarily want to live here, though – I’d feel so guilty about leaving anything out of place!

joejoe509

The interior has some really nice elements. Overall it’s really nicely done and it fits in with the beach living lifestyle. It’s typically difficult for me to point out positive things about contemporary styled homes. Like Scott said, you can tell that the builder/designer was confident with his work. I too love the wood ceilings – an element that similar homes should embrace more often. The exterior really trips me up, though. It reminds me too much of a commercial/high-tech industrial campus. I think the exterior should have a bit more color or contrast. This location is simply fabulous and the house should blend in with the suroundings a little more. I would have liked to see more use of wood and stone on the exterior so that the house looks like an extension of those stunning cliffs rather than an eyesore.

Now – if I had the means to purchase something like this, it would probably be a getaway home only. Otherwise, I’d pretty much bulldoze it and replace it with something more my style. I’m absolutely in love with those cliffs!! It’s such an amazing spot… I’m so jealous. :-) I would definitely think of renting this place out for a vacation.

Barney

Well, Dan, I honestly don’t truly hate the house……just clearly dislike it as is. As Growler pointed out, it’s just a rental/vacation home, but I wouldn’t even rent it as is….it’s THAT commerical & cold-looking. It absolutely still needs everything I listed above to make it attractive even as just a rental, imo. But you’re right about us possessing each other’s minds & keyboards, at least for this place……Unbelievable!

Barney

I hear ya, Joejoe…..BIG time regarding the high-tech campus building look……..you nailed it. Contemporary doesn NOT in any way, shape or form mean commercial or institutional looking……in my dream life, if I had the money, I could ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY design a skip-TWO-beats-of-your-hear STUNNING contemporary house with a lot of the best mid-century & art deco features EVER. It would be so gorgeous, colorful, PERFECTLY orchestrated, elegant, friendly, welcoming, SENSUOUS and GLAMOROUS (at least the living/dining & foyer) place you’d ever see in your whole life. I would design, build and decorate the architectural equivalent of the PERFECT cross between one of the absolute MOST beautiful ocean liners ever built……the Normandie, and a YOUNG Sophia Loren!

1. 5.2.1

joejoe509

This will soon be Steve Job’s retirement home. haha.

I was thinking that a modern house – especially one in a location such as this – should borrow design elements from boating or more specifically yachts. Take a look at the brand new Audi A6 interior. I think a contemporary home could use similar shapes and contrasts. I wish this house carried the effective use of materials for the interior to the exterior rather than leaving it so blank and cold. I just think it’s such a missed opportunity with an environment like this one.

The name is bond, James Bond. Please fix me a martini, shaken not stirred, while I cavort in this massive pool with some exotic vixen. Afterwords we will retire to our glass walled bedroom suite overlooking the caribbean
    where we will make hot yet sophisticated love until the sun comes up. Whereupon our butler will bring us fluffy bathrobes to eat breakfast in before she tries to kill me.

Okay, well my typical complaints about contemporaries apply here…it’s way too cold and impersonal. While that look works for some people (see above comments), I just can’t get past it, not even as a vacation/second home. As a few other people pointed out, the use of wood in the ceilings is very nice, but doesn’t ultimately stop this home from being too cold. It needs more than a token wood ceiling here and there to do that. The view is incredible and the pool is fantastic, but for a home in the Caribbean, there is ZERO usable beach area! It’s all cliff, and that’s unfortunate. This is a definite pass all around for me. I want to like it, but I just can’t.

This looks a lot like a hotel that my dad part owned when I was little, down to the location. Wrong country though.
    I am partial to it for that reason alone.

Was your dad James Bond?