Lane

17.5?

That is absurd. I mean the house looks pretty nice but that is an insane price.
    and where the hell is Atherton?

Kenny Forder

I agree, it’s absurd, but it’s Atherton after all. Atherton’s zip code of 94027 is #2 on Forbes’ list of America’s most expensive zip codes with a median home price of $4,010,200.

1. 1.1.1

Iemand

Well, that explains the price tag. It’s an insane amount of money.

But I do like the house though; I can’t think of anything I don’t like.

2. 1.1.2

Lane

I had no idea Atherton was that expensive. But that’s still a ridiculous price.

Silicon Valley

Stormlady

I look forward to seeing the posts every day. But honestly, all these big homes start to look the same after a while! I almost never find myself wishing to replace my humble ranch home. Agree that this one seems very expensive.

BB

I bet it sells for around ~10 unless facebook IPOs soon.

Ha! What a joke! While it is charming and cozy, it certainly isn’t worth anywhere near the asking price. Forbes can list it at the top of their list all day long, the fact is it is a hamlet that no one outside of Silicon Valley would consider living in. I’m not even going to list all the truly exclusive places in this country where $17 million+ would go A LOT further. And it gets even worse when you look at the neighborhood…nice but the home HAS NO VIEW!!!! I could care less what list this town is on – paying more than $5 million for this home is stupid.

robert

Just came here to say 17 MILLION!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

alright, I think I’ll just step around the mud-slinging to offer my humble opinion on this listing…

I’ll get this out of the way first: 17.5 mil is indeed absurd for a home of this size, even if it is in Atherton. I’m somewhat familiar with Atherton being ridiculously high-dollar, and it always surprise me how high the asking prices are of some of the homes that come onto the market there. No, I don’t think the home is worth that much

BUT….considering the home in isolation (let’s forget about the location and price for a second) I do really like it. 10,000 square feet is a sizable chunk of house, but this home manages to look warm, inviting, comfortable and understated. It’s one of the few homes that push 5 figures in size that I could honestly envision living in and feeling as though it were a warm nest around me, rather than a cold cavern. I applaud the builder and owner for designing and decorating it in a way that makes me feel like that. Overall, heart-warming home, unfortunate price a by-product of its location.

It’s definitely lovely, in a boring beige sort of way. I do think the real estate transposed a comma and a decimal point in some way.

If I were going to live on the peninsula, I would prefer Hillsborough.

Chance

Remove the 1 and you’d have this homes legitimate selling price. I like the house itself but it isn’t worth $17.5 million.

Kyle

Not worth $17 million.

Barney

YET ANOTHER in the ETERNAL parade of clinically psychotic home prices. I wonder which of the three (potential) CURSES the human race is the most often POWERLESS against?

MONEY?

SEX?

POWER?

We could OBVIOUSLY talk FOREVER about this you guys……..want to hazard a comment? :-)

11. Pingback: Homes of the Rich discovers Atherton Pricing | Burbed.com

I’m saying *I* wouldn’t pay more than $5 million for it, regardless of the location and surrounding home values. If it is worth more, good for the owner. If someone is foolish enough to pay an extravagant sum of money for a pretty normal home, good for them.

And regarding the Milner residence, notice how I said “I don’t think I could ever pay that much and not have a view of the water, I wouldn’t hesitate to pay that much if the home was transported to an oceanfront lot in Palm Beach or The Hamptons.” I think that house is fantastic, but it suffers from a mediocre location in my opinion. That home, as you mentioned, is on another scale.

13. 10.1.1

Yonas

You stated, “paying more than $5 million for this home is stupid.” You did not say you wouldn’t pay more than $5 million for the house – unless you also meant to say you never do stupid things. Perhaps next time you will be a bit more articulate.

14. 10.1.1.1

Yes, yes, yes, how incredibly inarticulate I am. By the way, who are you? I’ve never seen you comment here before and I find it intriguing that you decided to insult me after I stated my opinion. How about this: In my opinion, it is stupid to pay more than $5 million for this house, therefore, I wouldn’t purchase it. Satisfied? Perhaps next time you won’t come off as an arrogant prick.

15. 10.1.1.2

Yonas

No need for name calling and assumptions Daniel. However, I do appreciate your clarification.

Yonas

The use of a question mark is something you should have learned in elementary school. I am assuming you graduated from elementary school but if not, then please pay attention when your teacher discusses the relevant lesson.

17. 10.1.1