Onions

Everything was goin great and then I saw the checkered entry.

Barney

Hate to tell ya’, Onions, but that style of floor has been regarded as one of interior desgin & architectures most elegant, and in-demand designs for super-traditional, formal & elegant english, french & mediterranean homes throught Europe, the states, and many wealthy cities all over world for centuries, really. And I’m pretty sure it ain’t goin’ away anytime soon :-(. I personally think it’s perfect for the space, but not my personal favorite, for sure. I THINK the original design can be traced back to France, in the 1600’s or thereabouts.

Stewie

I know what you mean about the checkered hall. I used to not be too keen on them either, but they have slowly grown on me. Especially in homes that have a more traditional exterior. Not my favourite either but I appreciate well integrated architecture when I see it

Tay

I was looking at this listing online and I noticed that this estate and another $27.5 mill listing came on within a day of each other…anyways the 27.5 million dollar estate has the same address as the 26000 sq ft lake carrington estate but why would the price jump up from 14.5 million where it was a couple months ago…lol I’m confused :(

Kenny Forder

Yeah, I noticed that as well!! I’m thinking that maybe they finished the interior and so they upped the asking price.

I would gladly take the checkered floor, and the whole damn place. It’s beautiful.

The bridge over the gate is retarded.
    What if a big truck needs to get in or a big trailer?
    What if you wanted to bring your big boat home?
    I can only assume that there is another entrance somewhere on the property.
    $36 million….ambitious as usual with these people.

Stewie

The Bridge seems more than high enough to allow through even the largest of cars, so that’s not really an issue. I actually think it’s kind of a nice and unique touch and makes the estate appear more mystical. And besides, if the new owner doesn’t like it, he can simply tear it down, as it’s not exactly vitally connected or related to the main property, so it’s no big deal. I think this property is amazing. The only thing I would like to see is a slightly wider garden, it’s a little too narrow. If I owned the house (I wish lol), I would cut away some of the trees on either side and widen it a bit. Interior is beautiful too! Beautiful place

1. 4.1.1

Nowhere in my statement did I mention cars.

People in Greenwich don’t bring their boats home. If they’re not in the water at the yacht club they’ve had someone haul it out for winter storage, but it would never be stored on their property. That bridge is more than high enough for a moving truck to get under. It’s actually somewhat reminiscent of the bridge that used to span the gate at the original Vanderbilt’s Breakers in Newport before the house burned down.

Stewie

Absolutely gorgeous! I’m really liking this place

Stewie

You know what Kenny, this place kind of reminds me of that guy’s house in the Boston suburbs you did a post on ages ago. Perinetta or whatever his name was. I really digged his house as well

Stewie

Just looked it up, his name was Jim Pallotta

Tay

I especially love the wall of glass on the rear facade!!!!

george

I was refering to 11 Langhorne Lane.

Kenny Forder

Sweet! I would love to see the interior now that it’s completed! Yeah, plus it is still a great price for that amount of square footage in the Greenwich area.

10. 7.1.1

george

The true size is 16,024 sq ft. That is on 2 levels. A basement without walkout to ground level, guest houses that aren’t built, pool houses and pools that aren’t there, tennis courts that don’t exist should not be included in sq ft calculations. By the way, the 16024 sq ft includes the garage.

11. 7.1.2

george

yes,twice

12. 7.1.2.1

Kenny Forder

Thanks for the info! Have you taken a tour of this home?