Mike F

Some think that the big home are mostly found in the US, the UK and France, which is wrong.

There are some very large and grand estatets in Russia, Ukraine and several of the post-Soviet countries. Often the architecture is more towards palaces and castles.

I think the best example of grandeur is Chauchescu’s palace in Bucharest, Romania. Built to be both his private residence and a political office. The time and money spent on that building is amazing! How big his private part in the building was ment to be I do not know.

Tackiest piece of s**t I have ever seen. Looks like everything is made with styrofoam.

Is that Poseidon in the front? Looks like they stole it from Disney World. Crap, Kitsch, and Tacky all bundled in a country that just doesn’t seem like a paradise to me…

Tony

that last house is pretty knarly. the guy basically went to Vegas, stayed at Caesar’s Palace and then just told his staff that he wanted to take it home. i do like the design but i’m also a personal fan of anything Ancient Rome. seriously….one’s ego has to be through the roof to live there. you hafta meet with your architect before it’s built and go: “Hi there. I am a God. Make me feel at home.”

I would be more impressed but after reading the article these guys are nothing but a bunch of thieves that got rich by creating monopolies.
    Not interested.

Tony

what does their profession have to do with their houses? it’s not like the amenities and architectural structure become more attractive once the owners are moral pillars of the community. besides, everyone knows there’s a great crime behind every great fortune.

1. 4.1.1

That is not true.
        If you play the lottery and win $300 million there is no crime committed.
        As far as I know the Google guys committed no crimes, nor Oprah or many other wealthy people.

1. 4.1.1.1

Tony

as far as you know. i’m not gonna judge people i haven’t met and obviously there’s exceptions to every rule. nonetheless, we can agree a ton of crimes committed by wealthy individuals are going to go unnoticed to the public eye because $$$ was spent towards that very cause. that’s common sense. but either way, it still has nothing to do with the quality of a home.

2. 4.1.1.2

Rhyne

Venom, do you only admire homes or cars or other things that are bought with 100% verifiably clean money? I am sorry but there is no such thing. Whether in Armenia or Dubai or France or the U.S. or elsewhere, many of the wealthiest walk a fine line with legality on one side and utter disdain for law on the other.

Personally, looking at homes or cars or art or anything else has to be done without regard to the people who own them, otherwise you will soon come to realize the true nature of things.

1. 4.1.1.2.1

Yes there is, I pointed it out quite clearly in my above comment that there is verifiably clean money.
            The easiest example is someone that one a state lottery.
            That is about as clean as you can get.
            My comments are about these particular people who after reading the post seem to be verifiable scum that make massive amounts of money because they have monopolies.
            If you dig deeper I will bet they mob or mobsters, much like the Russian oligarchs.
            I have no regard for people like these who profit off of the backs of others.

Mike F

Of course! Foul playing is big business over there. People got really rich in a very short time, which is impossible unless you play really rotten.

Nothing wrong with money if you earn it the right way, but in these countries honesty is usually not so important.

1. 4.2.1

Rhyne

And honesty is important in the United States or elsewhere? Off the top of my head: Madoff, Rigas, Lay, Skilling, Waksal, Ebbers, and the list goes on.

People are greedy everywhere, except in some places they can get away with it, and in other places they can’t (at least not as easily).

1. 4.2.1.1

Mike F

In the former Soviet-countries it seems it is very easy to get away with it. Or you know someone who fixes it for you, and you are still “innocent”. Have seen too much of the greed over there, I have lived in some of the post-Soviet countries. The hunt for greed is too much, but the everyday people are really great, though.

soliath09

this home is really grand and it seems like it may be too big and too scary.

Rhyne

Armenia is no different from any other country in that it has elites with crazy money and often little taste and people who struggle day to day. Pick any country and you’ll have the same dynamic.

Kieran

Great post, well done for bringing something a little profound to our attention

Patrick

Armenia is a “new money” country–just as jocks and people like that have little taste in the US.

What bothers me the most are those columns! I’m no architect, but columns just look bad when they don’t bevel out. Every one of those columns are perfectly straight and cheap.

Mike F

Have talked with a very good architect regarding this before. The Parthenon had columns that were not straight, so just because of that every classic building “must” have it. We can agree or disagree about this, but personally I preffer my columns straight. Depending on which building you build, I guess.

What is interesting in this case is that the columns in the main house are of two different styles, which might ruin things a bit. A facade shoud not have too many design details that go against each other.

1. 8.1.1

Patrick

Mike,
        That kind of reasoning is not consistent. The Parthenon didn’t have bases on their columsns, but most columns afterwards do. The parthenon had doric capitals, but most columns of a “high class structures” don’t.

I think curved columns are the result of a style that has been proved to be a winner for centuries upon centuries. I’ve looked around for examples of “straight” columns from antiquity and they seem to have weeded themselves out of existence.

Of course, any column is still a column, but I would venture to guess that out of a group of 100 classically trained architects that 99 of them would see straight ones as eyesores.

1. 8.1.1.1

Mike F

Well, it was what the architect told me. It is a rather famous one, so I thought he knew what he said. Anyways, colums can be debated for a long time. In the end I guess it’s what the owners of the house thinks. If they like whatever they choose it’s good for them.

Chance

It seems that wealth and opulence in nations with newly minted wealth are not seem as overt yet anytime someone in a established nation builds a “castle” it is met with criticism and contempt, when you would think it should be the other way around.

arthur

the location of this house just sucks.

gi

Ford and other people made their fortune little by little, during many years. These kind of thives became rich fast… stolen money from the people.

Ray

The house looks great, but the location sucks. It’s in a city where I was born. I’m Armenian, in case you’re wondering. Again, the location sucks. It’s sort of the number 2 best city of the country. If he built this in Yerevan, Armenia, it would cost him a whole lot more.

mel

I’ve passed this house a few times when I was back home last year. I wouldn’t call it a house though. And Mike F thanks for mentioning, the everyday people are great.